PSPad is my favorite text editor. I use it for everything from PHP coding to opening unknown file types. MUCH better than Notepad or Wordpad.
PSPad is a freeware programmer’s editor for Microsoft Windows operating systems, useful for people who:
- work with various programming environments
- like highlighted syntax in their source code
- need a small tool with simple controls and the capabilities of a mighty code editor
- are looking for a tool that handles plain text
- want to save time – PSPad offers rich text formatting functions
- need tool what offer user extension capabilities
- want to save money and still have the functionality of professional products because PSPad is free for commercial and government purposes too
It comes with a hex editor, CP conversion, text differences, templates, macros, spellcheck option, auto-completion, Code Explorer and much more. The program is pre-configured for the most popular programming languages (VB, C++, SQL, PHP, ASP, Python etc.) and you can further customize the syntax settings.
Download here: http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php