The Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 1.7 patch was released today. It fixes a few problem from the 1.6 patch. I don’t know why, but I can never get the “official” patches to install right. I’ve put together a manual patch which should eliminate the problem. This patch will also work if you have a downloaded version of the game (from Direct2Drive) and get an error when trying to install the regular patch.
You must have the 1.6 patch isntalled before installing this patch.
If you are having similar problems, you can install the patch manually by following these steps:
- This patch is dependent upon the 1.6 patch. Make sure your CoD4 installation has been patched to version 1.6 before doing the following. See this post for more details on 1.6.
- Download this self extracting ZIP (mirror) file which contains the updated files extracted from the patch installer.
- Double click on the downloaded file.
- Ensure the displayed “Unzip to folder:” is pointing to the folder where Call of Duty 4 is installed.
- Confirm “Overwrite files without prompting” is checked.
- Press “Unzip.”
- You will receive confirmation when the patched files have finished being copied. Exit out of the unzip program.
That’s it. You should be good to go. Fire up Call of Duty 4 multiplayer and see if it reports a 1.75 version in the lower right corner.