Occasionally, and for no particular reason, my computer will no longer establish Remote Desktop connections to any computer. When trying to connect, I get the error message “The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or contact your server administrator.” The issue seems to stem from a corrupt registry key, so the best way to resolve the problem is by removing that key from the registry and allowing Remote Desktop to recreate it. The fix is basically the same for Windows XP through Windows 7, though Vista/7 may require one more step.
Steps for Windows XP/Vista/7
- Log in as an Administrator.
- Download this file  to your desktop.
- Double-click on the RDP_Fix.reg file you just downloaded to run it.
- Respond in the affirmative to all prompts.
- You will get a confirmation that the data was imported successfully.
- Reboot your computer.
- Start Remote Desktop. If you are using Windows Vista/7, you will need to right-click on the Remote Desktop shortcut and select “Run as Administrator”